Wednesday 14 May 2014

Post #12 (12.05.14) >> Sennichimae Doguya-suji street shopping

Doguya-suji shopping street is a 160 metre long arcade with about 50 shops selling cooking tools, kitchen equipment, cutlery, crockery etc.
Oh and of course the odd place or two to eat.

Restaurant owners also come here to buy plastic models of dishes used to display their menus in their shop windows.

This little shopping strip would be heaven for Cat.












Knowing that I was going to Osaka, she sent me on a mission.

From my epic journey to the land of the rising sun, I was to return to her ... with a nice sashimi knife ~

Online research pointed me to this famous Knife shop www.ichimonji.co.jp















On my mission quest to find the ultimate sashimi knife, i discovered the language barrier was to be the biggest obstacle.
There was also a set budget to stay within (24,000Yen/A$250) to which there were a number of choices.
The shopkeeper showed me what was on offer and made her suggestions in Japanese.
The really nice knives were way too expensive -_-.
I chose the knife that felt right in my hands, choosing the blade length and handle.
To verify my selection i did something that resembled playing an air guitar but in a slicing motion with the chosen knife *_*.
All whilst chuckling because we couldn't really communicate in either Japanese or English.
Google translator on the mobile phone was used once or twice.
Trevor saved me some Yen because he carries his passport around with him whereas I do not.

Here it is, humble in comparison to some of the others
Then there were some extraordinary knives and swords !!




At the end of the arcade we stumbled upon Den Den town, somewhere we will return to explore later.


My sashimi knife was matched with a cover then placed into a box and wrapped.
Here is a photo of it, back in the hotel room.


No comments:

Post a Comment